Monday, February 11, 2013

Scalloped Baby Bonnet - size 12 months

Scalloped Baby Bonnet:

I had a hard time reading the original pattern (click here), so I re-wrote it to make sense to me with some other changes.  I added a Row 4 to the bonnet and had to adjust Rows 5-16 accordingly.  Also, row 15 in my picture is actually a hdc, but I regret that now and wish it were a dc.  Oh well.  I plan to use an “H” hook, and drop Row 4 to make the bonnet smaller.  I’m making this as a part of a layette baby gift and need a newborn size bonnet.  I’ll write that up if it turns out well.


Materials:
DK weight yarn - I used Bernat's Baby Coordinates Solids, Mauve and White
"I" hook

Size: 12 months – it fits my 12-month-old at least and she as a head circumference in the 98%.

Measures: 7x7.5 inches

Terms (US):
Ch = Chain
Dc = Double Crochet
Sp = space
St(s) = stitch(es)
Rep = Repeat
Sc = single crochet
Sc2tog = single crochet 2 together
Sl = slip stitch

Bonnet
1.       Form a magic ring, ch3 to start, 15 dc into ring, pull tight and join to ch3 (16sts).
2.       Ch 3, dc in same sp as joining, 2 dc in each st around. Join. (32sts)
3.       Ch 3, dc in next st, *2 dc in next st, dc in next 2 sts. Rep * around, Join to beg ch. (42sts)
4.       Ch 3, dc in same sp as joining, *dc in next 3 stiches, 2 dc in next stitch. Rep* around, join to be ch. (54sts)
5.       Ch 3, dc in next 44 sts. Ch 1, turn. (45sts)
6.       Sc in each dc. Ch3, turn. (45sts)
7.       Rep 5 & 6 for a total of 12 rows.

Neck
1.       Ch 1, turn.  Sc in each sc row and 3-4 sc in each dc row (about 26sts). Along the back of the bonnet, sc2tog, sc in the next 5 sts, sc2tog. Sc in each sc row and 3-4 sc in each dc row on other side of bonnet (about 26sts). Ch1, turn.  (59sts total)
2.       Sc in 1st sc, ch 1, sk next st, sc in next (eyelet made). Continue across row, ch1, turn. (59 sts)
3.       Sc across row and in each ch 1 sp. (30 sts, 29 eyelets) DO NOT FASTEN OFF


Trim
1.       Sl st in Row 3 of Neck, sk Row 2, 5 dc in Row 1 of Neck. Sk 1 st, sl st in next st, sk 1 st, *5 dc in next st, sk 2 sts, sl st in next st, sk 2 sts, Rep*.  For the 9th shell, sk 1 st from the last sl st, 5 dc in next st (Row 1 of Neck), sk Row 2 of neck, sl st in Row 3 of Neck.  Fasten off. (55 sts – 9 shells)

Thread ribbon or crocheted cord through eyelets at neck.

The cord I made:
Using an “H” hook: Ch 201, sc 200, fasten off. 

1 comment:

Any vulgar or disrespectful comments will be deleted.